The Environment Agency is responsible for regulating rod licences and the sea fishery within six miles of the Yorkshire and North East coast.
Our aim is to have sustainable salmon and sea trout populations returning to east coast rivers. The Net Limitation Order (NLO) governs the number of drift and beach (T and J) nets licensed to catch fish along the Yorkshire and North East Coast. We need to make some changes to the latest Order which comes into force in December 2012.
- class="downloadable">The draft North East Coast (Limitation of Nets) Order 2012 (PDF, 148KB)
- class="downloadable">A non-technical explanation of the Order (PDF, 37KB)
- class="downloadable">A summary report about the Order (PDF, 1MB)
This presents the outcome of the NLO review together with a summary of the review process and the evidence considered.
Commenting on the Order
Our proposed new Order will be open for comments between Tuesday 8 May and Friday 27 July 2012. Any objection to the confirmation of the Order should be made in writing and addressed to:
Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs
17 Smith Square
Or returned by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
In making our proposed changes, we have carried out a number of technical reviews and consulted with affected parties to provide us with the information we needed to inform our decision.
- class="downloadable">Socio-economic report (PDF, 490KB)
This describes the social and economic impacts of rod and net fisheries for salmon and sea trout in the north east of England, to provide context for the NLO review.
- class="downloadable">Fisheries Assessment report (PDF, 6MB)
This describes the performance of salmon and sea trout stocks in the north east of England and describes changes in catches and effort in the net fishery. The degree to which the net fishery operates on mixed stocks is also evaluated.
- class="downloadable">Genetics report (PDF, 4.5MB)
This Marine Scotland Science report presents the results of a genetic analysis of salmon catches in the net fishery in 2011.
- class="downloadable">Net Fisheries report (PDF, 4.5MB)
This assesses the impacts of net fishing for salmon and sea trout on Sites of Special Scientific Interest.
- class="downloadable">Habital Regulations Report (PDF, 2.6KB)
Setting out the Habitats Regulations Assessment to support the NLO review
- class="downloadable">Flamborough Head and Bempton Cliffs SPA Appropriate Assessment (PDF, 770KB)
Concerned with the fishery in Filey Bay.
- class="downloadable">Supporting Technical Report for Habitats Regulations Assessment (PDF, 250KB)
This assesses the size and significance of impacts from the north east nets on salmon stocks in five Special Areas of Conservation rivers designated for salmon.
- class="downloadable">Countryside and Rights of Way (CROW) Assessment (PDF, 227KB)